Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Oct 3 09:36:32 EDT 2003

"Mark Brady" <kalath at lycos.com> wrote in message
news:e840346c.0310030302.6be0c378 at posting.google.com...
> This whole thread is a bad idea.

I could agree that the OP's suggestion is a bad idea but do you
actually think that discussion and more publicity here for Lisp/Scheme
is bad?  You make a pretty good pitch below for more Python=>Lisp
converts.

> If you like python then use python.

As I plan to do.

> Personally I find Scheme and Common Lisp easier to read but that's
> just me, I prefer S-exps and there seems to be a rebirth in the
cheme
> and Common Lisp communities at the moment. Ironically this seems to
> have been helped by python. I learned python then got interested in
> it's functional side and ended up learning Scheme and Common Lisp. A
> lot of new Scheme and Common Lisp developers I talk to followed the
> same route. Python is a great language and I still use it for some
> things.

Other Lispers posting here have gone to pains to state that Scheme is
not a dialect of Lisp but a separate Lisp-like language.  Could you
give a short listing of the current main differences (S vs. CL)?  If I
were to decide to expand my knowledge be exploring the current
versions of one(I've read the original SICP and LISP books), on what
basis might I make a choice?

Terry J. Reedy