Problem building/using M2Crypto extension module

Carl Waldbieser waldbie at attglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 21:07:06 EDT 2003

There is a __m2crypto.pyd in my \Python23\Lib\site-packages\M2Crypto
directory.  I don't have Python 2.2.3 installed, but I may eventually
re-install it just to see if I can get this working.

Is there some way I can inspect the output files at each step of the build
so as to detect an error in my process?  Also, I do not recall using pydef,
and I am not sure what it is.  I beilieve that I used a tool called pexport
to make the .def file for python.

If you get around to building it for Python2.3.x, I'd be glad to know how it
went.  One thing I got hung up on for a long time was trying to get the
distutils to do the install.  If I tried:

>python setup.py install

I would get an error because I built the files using mingw and it would say
I needed to build it with Visual C++.  Of course, I already had built it for
mingw with:

>python setup.py build -cmingw

so I was a bit confused.  There was no such flag for the install, as far as
I could tell.  After reading through the help for a while, I found a flag
that let me skip the re-build that is implicit in the install.  I didn't
think that should have caused a problem, though.

Carl Waldbieser

"Ng Pheng Siong" <ngps at netmemetic.com> wrote in message
news:blhhc4$sgp$3 at mawar.singnet.com.sg...
> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "<interactive input>", line 1, in ?
> >   File "C:\PYTHON23\Lib\site-packages\M2Crypto\__init__.py", line 7, in
?
> >     import __m2crypto
> > ImportError: DLL load failed: The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> Is there a __m2crypto.dll or __m2crypto.pyd (sorry can't remember which)
> somewhere?
>
> I haven't tried with Python 2.3 on Windows, but I've done it on FreeBSD.
No
> change in build procedure.
>
>   $ python
>   Python 2.3 (#3, Sep 15 2003, 15:22:12)
>   [GCC 2.95.4 20020320 [FreeBSD]] on freebsd4
>   Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>   >>> import M2Crypto
>   >>>

>   $ python2.3 alltests.py
>   Ran 70 tests in 6.756s
>
>   OK
>

> On Windows, I use Bloodshed DevC++, which is some version of mingw.
Instead