Can Python work like Java Applet?

Werner Schiendl n17999950.temp.werner at neverbox.com
Wed Oct 22 11:36:02 EDT 2003

Batista, Facundo wrote:

> AFIK, no. But, remember that 'Java' and 'Java Applet' are different things.
> And 'Java' doesn't support something like 'Java Applet'.
>
> Just don't get confused by the names. Browsers have embedded a 'Java Applet'
> interpreter. You can't execute Java there.

I think that here is some confusion.

A "Java Applet" as to my best knowledge *is* Jave, but it runs in a very
limited sandbox that prevents it from doing bad things to the machine
where the browser runs.

If you *really* need that sort of thing (that is, run custom code in a
clients browser) Java will be your best bet as it is the only approach
that is somewhat cross-platform.

Another possibility to run code in a browser would be ActiveX (which is
only available on Windows) or writing Browser-PlugIns (which are
platform and browser dependent).

My recommendation to the original poster would be to learn both :-)

best regards

Werner