Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Matthias Blume find at my.address.elsewhere
Tue Oct 28 18:26:28 EST 2003

Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:

> Computers are fast enough and have enough memory nowadays. You are
> talking about micro efficiency. That's not interesting anymore.

I have worked on projects where people worried about *every cycle*.
(Most of the time I agree with you, though.  Still, using infinite
precision by default is, IMO, a mistake.  Having it around and at your
fingertips, though, is nice.  That's why I added the long-missing
compiler support for IntInf to SML/NJ recently.)

> (but I have no problems if we agree to disagree here.

Good.

> we both don't have the necessary empirical data to back our claims)

Speak for yourself.

Matthias