Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Oct 14 12:54:35 EDT 2003

Paul Foley <see at below.invalid> wrote previously:
|True enough.  Naming things is a pain though.  Imagine if you couldn't
|use numbers without naming them:

This is plain idiotic.  Someone else posted it equally disingenuously
too, FWIW.

Numbers aren't functions.  Just because you can take a noun from a
sentence, and insert a different noun that changes the truth value is
REALLY not interesting.  Let's try it:

    Imagine you couldn't use MACROS without naming them
    Imagine you couldn't use MODULES without naming them
    Imagine you couldn't use KEYWORDS without naming them

If you want to suggest some ACTUAL advantage to HOFs, fine.  Do it.  But
please no annoying non-analogies.

In any case, I started my little splinter only in response to someone
who claimed that you needed lambdas to use HOFs. An obviously wrong,
and annoyingly stupid, claim.  Pointing out that Haskell or Python could
easily drop lambda, with no detriment, simply makes that point.

Yours, David...

--
---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
Echelon North Korea Nazi cracking spy smuggle Columbia fissionable Stego