more secure crypt() function

Marco Herrn herrn at gmx.net
Sat Oct 4 14:52:27 EDT 2003

On 2003-10-04, Paul Rubin <> wrote:
>> I hope my intention is clear....
>
> No your question isn't clear.

I was afraid this would be the case.

> If you just mean you want to use salted passwords the way unix
> password files do, use can use md5 or sha.

Yes, that was what I wanted.
But it seems that was searching in the wrong direction. What I need the
function for is only the hashing, not the verification against the hash.
Because of that I wanted to be sure that the hashes could be verified
with the same function (that means I wouldn't have to reconfigure exim).
But I was wrong. I can tell exim to use md5() instead of crypt(). So
they are not what I called 'compatible'.
Thanks for your help.

Marco Herrn             herrn at gmx.net
(GnuPG/PGP-signed and crypted mail preferred)
Key ID: 0x94620736