Why don't people like lisp?

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Fri Oct 24 18:18:27 EDT 2003

Donn Cave wrote:
> You can have files close automatically in Python, but automatically
> isn't by itself a rather vacuous term, and `when I am done with it'
> doesn't help a bit.  In C Python, when a file object is no longer
> referenced by any part of the program, it closes.   If it's local
> to a function, including bound only to a function parameter or some
> such thing, that will occur when control returns from the function.

I understand both the specification and the implementation of finalization
in Python, as well as the reasoning behind them.  My point is, I would
prefer it if Python guaranteed immediate finalization of unreferenced
objects.  Maybe I'll write a PEP about if someday.

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com - http://eldwood.com