type checking

Jules Dubois bogus at invalid.tld
Sat Oct 11 23:35:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:56:19 +1300, in article
<bmafsm$3i9$1 at lust.ihug.co.nz>, sashan wrote:

> [...] The one thing that annoys me about python
> is dynamic typing because I find myself making typographical errors of
> the sort that would under C++ be picked up by the compiler at compiler
> time.

Ask yourself how much static type-checking costs you versus how much
dynamic type errors cost you.  If your answer demands static type-checking,
Python is not a good choice for you.

> Any advice about
> how to get around this would be appreciated.

Python, Smalltalk, and other languages are designed without static
type-checking.  Getting around this kind of design decision can be
exceptionally difficult or impossible.