programming languages (etc) "web popularity" fun

jmdeschamps jmdeschamps at cvm.qc.ca
Fri Oct 31 12:15:59 EST 2003

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message news:<HJrob.386734$R32.12803775 at news2.tin.it>...
> (You need Mark Pilgrim's pygoogle, see
> http://diveintomark.org/projects/pygoogle/ , and a personal license to the
> google api, see http://www.google.com/apis/ , saved in a file such as
> "googlekey.txt" in your home directory [pygoogle looks in several places,
> see http://diveintomark.org/projects/pygoogle/readme.txt for the list).
>
> So, a little script such as...:
>
> #! /usr/local/bin/python2.3
> # programming languages popularity web-survey

(Bunch of lines cut out)

> not too surprising, I guess.  One could explore a bit more of course
> (e.g. specifically look for 'basic -visual' etc etc) but I'm running
> a bit short of my daily 1000 searches so I'm gonna leave that fun to
> you, o readers.  Points to ponder: the preponderance of visual basic
> over python, and of python over scheme, is really small; the latter
> may perhaps be explained by some occurrences of 'scheme' as an ordinary
> word rather than the language name, and

Naturally we can also ponder about the fact that python is also a
snake, a java rats eating thing even ;-)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1072265,00.html
(thanks FL and Secret Labs)

and the half name of a 'passé' UK humour bunch of people! They must
make up for something (nudge,nudge)

(bunch of other lines cut out)

> Alex

Jean-Marc