Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

dewatf dewatf at nothotmail.com
Sun Oct 12 19:00:09 EDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 20:42:57 -0400, Hans Nowak <hans at zephyrfalcon.org>
wrote:

>Doesn't it belong to the group that includes 'fructus'?  Of course this has
>nothing to do with the plural used in English, but still... :-)

It sort of does for nouns with a latin plural that plural is often
brought into English too.

>This page, which has a lot of info on this issue, seems to think so:
>
>http://www.perl.com/language/misc/virus.html

Thanks for the link interesting reading.

The Oxford Latin Dictionary and the Persus project classify 'virus' as
irregular second declension noun (of which there a few like virus).
Betts and others argue it is a 4th declension like 'census' and
'fructus', (though Betts still lists it as 2nd declension irregular in
his latin textbook which I was I was using). The matter turns on a
couple of surviving references to the genative singular.

And that argument doesn't affect the plural not being used. I will after
reading the page change my 'such nouns were usually only used in the
nominative and accusative singular in latin' to 'were only used in the
singular'.

             dewatf.