Python/Wx dot net

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Oct 5 09:39:02 EDT 2003

HankC wrote:

> I'm slowly migrating from Delphi/Kylix to Python/Wx to facilitate
> cross-platform development.  Python in particular is a really good fit
> for the type of development I do.  I'm also a little shakey on the
> ramifications of dot net but it seems conceivable that at some point
> any [former]Win32 apps will need to run as managed code.  Looking a
> little long term...
>
> What's the status of python as a dot net language?
>
> What's the status of Wx as a dot net gui toolkit?
>
> What's the probability of something like BOA being able to target dot
> net?

Here's the question I would ask: what's the future of dot net?

Python has outlasted at least two major new Microsoft initiatives,
I believe, and seems likely to outlive .NET as well.

I hvae more faith in the Python community to provide useful,
cross-platform, robust, and fun environments than I do in Microsoft
to do provide any single one of those.

My suggestion: learn to use Python well.  Use it to solve problems.
If at some point it supports .NET, you'll be well positioned to
write to that API, but you'll also still be able to write good
programs long after .NET is yet another footnote in history.

-Peter