Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

ketil+news at ii.uib.no ketil+news at ii.uib.no
Sat Oct 25 07:26:51 EDT 2003

"Donn Cave" <donn at drizzle.com> writes:

>    ERROR "hello.hs":8 - Unresolved top-level overloading
>    *** Binding             : main
>    *** Outstanding context : Show b
>
> Not to get into the details here, but is someone who takes our
> hint here and checks out Haskell really headed for a terrific
> demonstration of how modern static typing is an easy and fun way
> to increase programming productivity?

(This is Hugs, no?) One of the things I find much better now compared
to when I started with Haskell a couple of years ago are the error
messages of GHC -- and it will generally tell you exactly what to do
(add Show b to the context) in this case.

Then there's Helium, which has a simplified type system and primarily
tries to be helpful to beginners.

True, typing can give you difficult to comprehend error messages, but
this is obviously something developers take very seriously.

-kzm