Python 2.3.2 RPM's for Redhat 8.0 or Python source RPM and upgrade procedure?

Scott Chapman scott_list at mischko.com
Fri Oct 3 15:01:21 EDT 2003

On Friday 03 October 2003 11:01, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Scott> Does anynone have these available?  I'd like to upgrade (hoping
>     Scott> it doesn't break my Redhat install).
>
> Sean Reifschneider builts them as a service to the community.  I suspect it
> will be a few days to a week before he releases 2.3.2 RPMs.

Thanks for the info.  I'll wait around.

>     Scott> If I upgrade, all my site-packages have to be reinstalled to the
>     Scott> new site-packages directory right?
>
> No, the installation will go to (I think) /usr/local/lib/python2.3 or
> /usr/lib/python2.3.  The site-packages directory will thus remain the same.

Just an FYI, RedHat probably has things rather customized here.  The original
Python install put the site-packages directory in /usr/lib/python2.2/. I
expect the upgraded RPM installs to follow suit but I don't know if Sean
Reifschneider's RPM's do or not.

Could I move the site-packages directory manually?

Does the entire site-packages contents need to be rebuilt (or reinstalled)
with the new Python or will it automatically do so (I mean the .pyc files).
Do I need to manually remove all the byte-compiled files?

Thanks for the help!
Scott