Using TCP/IP

Irmen de Jong irmen at -NOSPAM-REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 2 15:39:56 EDT 2003

jblazi wrote:

> tutorial is virtually perfect. The first program we shall write is a
> mastermind program and it would be nice if my pupils could play that over
> the internet too.

Are you sure you want to do this in the 'first program you write'?
Coding a master mind program is hard as it is (for a first program),
let alone making it work over the (inter)net.

If you want to teach network programming stuff, well,
you may ignore the rest of this message ;-)

But if you just want it to work over the network, without
actually concerning yourself with the -gory- details of
network programming, please consider using Pyro for the
remote communication stuff in your program.
http://pyro.sourceforge.net

With a few extra lines in your python source you can
talk to another Python program somewhere in the network,
without writing *any* network specific communication stuff.

--Irmen de Jong