[OT] Inuit? Eskimo?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 21 12:19:27 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.297.1066748057.2192.python-list at python.org>,
 Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
>     >> Yes, but it's sort of like the Eskimos ("arctic native americans"?)
>
>     Dennis> I believe (but will admit that there is a chance that it is a
>     Dennis> localized group) that "Eskimo" has been superceded by
>     Dennis> "Inuit".
>
> I considered "Inuit", but thought that "Inuit" related to "Eskimo" as
> "Cherokee" related to "American Indian" (also no p.c. but common usage until
> the last 20 years or so).  So, I guess the [OT] pop quiz of the day is (fill
> in the blank):
>
>     "Native American" is to "American Indian" as ______ is to "Eskimo".
>
> Anyone in the .ca domain care to educate the .us folks?

I'm a few hours south of that border, but then the people
in question aren't confined to Canada anyway.

The way I understand it, Eskimo still prevails, in the absence
of any general alternative.

Your understanding of Inuit agrees with mine - they might well
prefer that term, but Yupik Eskimo people presumably wouldn't.
The only clear error is to confuse the Aleuts with Eskimos.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu