Why don't people like lisp?

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Fri Oct 17 20:41:27 EDT 2003

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:

> "Francis Avila" <francisgavila at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<voobanm4rs7p68 at corp.supernews.com>...
>
>>"Christian Lynbech" <christian.lynbech at ericsson.com> wrote in message
>
> <snip an enormous long bit of post and re-post>
>
> I believe people don't like Lisp because the Lisp community keeps
> writing long, whiny, threads about why people don't like Lisp -- and
> posting them in groups that concern entirely different languages.

To recap: Someone asked whether it would make sense to add macros to
Python. He specifically cross-posted this to c.l.l in order to get an
opinion from users of a language that has a long history of supporting
macros.

Some strong claims were made why macros might have been the reason that
Lisp has failed. Lispers dispute that macros are bad in this way and
that Lisp has already failed. That's just a natural progression of such
a discussion.

Pascal