User comments on python.org

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Oct 11 11:33:15 EDT 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:58:49 GMT,
	Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
> they're referring to the .net rather than the .org site.  "Annotatable"
> docs (perhaps with some overview) sure sounds like a way-cool idea, but
> I have no first-hand experience of how well it works in practice.

Well, let's get some experience.  python.org already has a Wiki, so we have
a facility for editing text.  It would be straightforward to have a
"View/Edit comments" link on each page that directed the user to a
corresponding Wiki page, perhaps popping it up in a separate window.

Questions:

* Including comments in the page is difficult; I looked at modifying
  MoinMoin to do this, but it's not easy. So how can the link be made fairly
  obvious?  Links at the bottom of page aren't very obvious.  A sidebar link
  perhaps?  (Even if we don't do annotation for the current site design, it
  might be worth coming up with a good indicator for the redesigned version.)

* Should comment links be on every single page, or should they just be
  limited to certain sections, such as /doc/current/?

* Does the Wiki stylesheet need to be tweaked for this use?  (Perhaps by
  suppressing the sidebar, for a start.  Pity, after Jurgen went to all that
  effort to put it there.)

--amk