Speaking Python

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Tue Oct 14 08:22:41 EDT 2003

Yvonne Thomson wrote:
> Hi, guys. As someone who is totally blind, uses speech, and programs in
> python, I think I'm probably qualified to talk about this. First, I

Nobody could be more qualified -- welcome, and thanks for speaking up!

> you'll have to ask specific questions for me to actually know what else
> to tell you, but I figured I might as well chime in on this.

It seems all the languages you've used are case-sensitive, so maybe
you don't have relevant experience with the following issue, but I just
thought I'd ask -- isn't case-sensitivity a problem?  How does your
setup pronounce things, in order to distinguish, say:
    muscat = 23
(assigning 23 to the all-lower-case name muscat) from
    musCat = 23
(same but with the name being assigned to having an uppercase instead
of lowercase C in the middle)?

Alex