python 2.3.1 issues DeprecationWarning for FCNTL when importing tempfile

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 12:40:39 EDT 2003

[Pierre Rouleau]
> No, PYTHONCASEOK is not set.

Good.

> I get the problem with right away in the python shell:
>
> D:\dev\python>python
> Python 2.3.1 (#47, Sep 23 2003, 23:47:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
>   on win32
>  >>> import tempfile
> c:\python23\lib\fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the FCNTL module is
         deprecated; please use fcntl
>    DeprecationWarning)
>  >>>

It's curious that your Python executable is apparently in D:\dev\python\,
but that fcntl.py is getting loaded from c:\python23\lib\.  Your setup may
be too complicated to understand <wink>.

> I am starting to wonder if the problem is caused by a package that was
> installed on one set of machines and not the other.

Do what you did above but add -vv to the command line, like so:

    python -vv

Then "import tempfile" when a prompt finally appears.  -vv sprays an
enormous amount of info to the screen about (among other things) the steps
Python takes to try to satisfy imports.

Also

    import sys
    print sys.path