Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 22:01:48 EDT 2003

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:

> Alex Martelli:
> |>Why, thanks!  Nice to see that I'm getting on the nerves of _some_
> |>people, too, not just having them get on mine.
>
> Doug Tolton <doug at nospam.com> wrote previously:
> |Yes, this discussion is frustrating.  It's deeply frustrating to hear
> |someone without extensive experience with Macros arguing why they are
> |so destructive.
>
> If that is meant to address Alex Martelli, it is very deeply misguided.
> If there is anyone who I can say with confidence has much more
> experience--and much better understanding--of macros (or of all things
> Lisp) than does Doug Tolton, it is Alex.
>
> Yours, Lulu...

Hey! No pulling rank! :) Actually, I think  we heard Mr. Martelli say
something along these lines at one point, tho I grok that he does know
his stuff.  As for having "a better understanding", hmmm, check your
lotus, I think you'll find something in there about Beginner's Mind.

Alex reports his experience of The Divergence Problem and blames macros.
Hell, I worked in Tall Buildings for years. I saw Divergence,
Convergence, /and/ the dread Regurgitation Problems everywhere I went.
No macros, tho, just groups of programmers.

So I think the groups are the problem.

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: