Book Recommendation

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Oct 8 17:18:35 EDT 2003

In article <pan.2003.10.08.15.04.47.386919 at secureb0x.net>,
Anthony  <sysfault at secureb0x.net> wrote:
			.
>> Perhaps <URL: http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=7822/ur >
is the correct form.  I apologize for the error.

>Well I know C, bash and i work with scripting alot i know the basics of
>programming, incremental development, debugging, etc I wanna implement
>gentoo's portage system which is completely written in python. I
>wanna become a gentoo developer which requires me to learn bash and python
>gentoo's ebuilds are written and portage in python. That means i have to
>be a top notch python programmer I've read the first four chapters of the
>book which is very good it doesn't play around it gets straight to the
>point, but as i said the size, and weight of the book is intimidating. MY
			.
			.
			.
I assure you:  you do NOT have to know everything
in *Core Python Programming* to "become a gentoo
developer".

In fact, it might be appropriate to refine *that*
notion:  what does "a gentoo programmer" mean to
you?  Someone who *could* do gentoo system admin-
istration, if a need arose?  Someone who earns a
full-time living specializing in gentoo peculi-
arities?  Someone who once delivered one
application that satisfied a gentoo end-user?

This is, by the way, the life of a programmer:
lots of conversations on the theme of, "What do
you mean by that?"
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net