python 2.3.1 issues DeprecationWarning for FCNTL when importing tempfile

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Oct 3 12:35:35 EDT 2003

Pierre Rouleau <prouleau at impathnetworks.com> writes:

> >>Whenever a file imports the standard tempfile module, Python 2.3.1
> >>issues the following warning:
> >>
> >>C:\Python23\lib\fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the FCNTL module is
> >>Deprecated; please use fcntl DeprecationWarning).
> >>
> >>A quick look into tempfile.py show that it does import fcnt.  Python
> >>2.3 tempfile documentation says that it was changed.  Was the use of
> >>fcntl() forgotten?  Is this a bug?
> > Do you have the environment variable PYTHONCASEOK set?  You probably
> > don't want to...
> >

> No, PYTHONCASEOK is not set.

Hmm, weird.

> I get the problem with right away in the python shell:
>
> D:\dev\python>python
> Python 2.3.1 (#47, Sep 23 2003, 23:47:32) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
> on win32
>  >>> import tempfile
> c:\python23\lib\fcntl.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the FCNTL module is
                  ^^^^^^^^
This is a bit bizarre; the file is really called FCNTL.py, right?

> I did not edit any of the files in the Python library.  It does the
> same on WinNT and Win2000 but i also tried it on a XP machine and the
> problem is not on the XP machine.  But the source is the same on the
> XP machine (the FCNTL.py and tempfile.py) and the NT and 2000 machines.
>
> I am starting to wonder if the problem is caused by a package that was
> installed on one set of machines and not the other.

Could be.  I've reached the outer edge of my windows knowledge (not
very far, you'll notice), so I hope another reader can get you
further...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  You're posting to a Scheme group. Around here, arguing that Java is
  better than C++ is like arguing that grasshoppers taste better than