BIG successes of Lisp (was ...)

Kaz Kylheku kaz at ashi.footprints.net
Tue Oct 14 16:56:50 EDT 2003

mike420 at ziplip.com wrote in message news:<BYIFD1LVHXB1ALLZLRH3P2BZOIIFHWLSJ4B4BRP3 at ziplip.com>...
> b. AFAIK, Yahoo Store was eventually rewritten in a non-Lisp.
> Why? I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you :)

>From a new footnote in Paul Graham's ``Beating The Averages'' article:

  In January 2003, Yahoo released a new version of the editor written
in C++ and Perl. It's hard to say whether the program is no longer
written in Lisp, though, because to translate this program into C++
they literally had to write a Lisp interpreter: the source files of
all the page-generating templates are still, as far as I know, Lisp
code. (See Greenspun's Tenth Rule.)