extending methods ?

Carlo v. Dango ILoveMyAmiga at faker.not
Fri Oct 10 03:42:03 EDT 2003

Arnd Baecker <arnd.baecker at web.de> wrote in
news:mailman.1065081965.7099.python-list at python.org:

> Now I better lean back and re-think
> the overall design with all the input/suggestions
> from you and the other posters in mind.

As I have just posted to this thread, specializing a method is a natural
thing... at least in other languages than the mainstream (java, c++, python
etc etc..).. this is important to understand. python has only method
overwritting, not method specialization. Look into the Beta language.. its
mind buggling (and has method specialization :).. Another peculiar thing in
Beta is that it has no "super" construct, but an "inner" which works the
other way around! yes! In Beta it's the LEAST specific method (pattern
actually) which is called FIRST.. it then calls "inner" to activate more
specialized methods. If the "inner" construct is forgotten its equivalent
with final methods in e.g. Java.