GIL in the new glossary

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Oct 3 10:52:25 EDT 2003

Luis P Caamano wrote:

> Having to use shared memory and multiple
> processes is a step backwards and one BIG reason,
> if not the biggest, that holds some people back from
> using python for large scale apps.

You'd have to define what you mean by "large scale apps" in a more
quantitative way for this statement to have much value.

Some of us feel we are already using Python in large scale apps,
without being hampered by the GIL.

Or can we drop the "large scale apps" part and just say that
having to use shared memory and multiple processes is a step
backwards and one BIG reason that holds back *some* people...

> However, it will have to be solved eventually

Why?

> and any argument saying it doesn't need a solution is
> just like trying to cover then sun with a thumb.

> The GIL is a convenience that hurts only a few.  When
> that few grows to a critical number, the GIL will
> disappear.  Until then though ...

-Peter