Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 9 23:19:45 EDT 2003

Pascal Costanza:
> Furthermore note that this is not an implementation difference. The ANSI
> standard defines the function COMPILE.

Is the implementation free to *not* compile the code when the
COMPILE function is called?  That is, to leave it as is?  How
would a user tell the difference without running a timing test?

> I simply don't believe that this will work out in the long run. Not in a
> truly general-purpose language.

Indeed.  That viewpoint (agree or disagree) really is one of
underlying cultural differences which have helped .... um....
invigorate this discussion.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com