Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 19:08:06 EDT 2003

Daniel Berlin wrote:

>>> This isn't true anymore (IE for newer compilers).
>>
>> Wow, that IS great news!  Does it apply to 32-bit Intel-oid machines
>> (the most widespread architecture)
>
> Yes, but not windows.

Aw:-(.  Oh well, so much for the hope of easy extensibility of Python
on Windows by non-MS compilers:-(.

>> I'm not very familiar with Python on the Mac but I think it uses
>> another
>> commercial compiler (perhaps Metrowerks?), so I suspect the same
>> question may apply here.
>
> It depends. I've built it with both.

I'm sure you can build Python with different compilers, but I was wondering
about the widely distributed pre-built version, the one Apple includes as
part of OS/X.

> At least on Mac, Apple's gcc -fast is better than any other compiler
> around, according to recent benchmarks.
>
> Unsurprising to me, but i'm a gcc hacker, so i might be biased a bit. :P
>
> Most, if not all, optimizations that commercial compilers implement are
> or are being implemented in gcc for 3.5/3.6.

Great news.  But I doubt that Python on Windows can simply drop the
use of MSVC++, anyway:-(.

Alex