Python 2.3.2 on AIX5.1 with IBM C compiler

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Fri Oct 31 05:12:57 EST 2003

Patrick Useldinger wrote:
> Has anyone successfully compiled Python in this configuration?
>
> I am trying to convince our Unix people to use Python, but they have
> been put off by the apparent difficulty to compile the previous version
> on their AIX machines. They are tempted to use Perl, just because it
> comes pre-compiled on their machines.
>
> I am not a Aix system engineer, but a happy Python programmer and I have
> offered them my help. My only try at compiling Python was on SUSE 8.2,
> and I have had absolutely no problems...
>
> I'd appreciate if somebody could point me to known issues regarding
> this.
>
> -PU

Its not 2.3, but you can get an RPM for Python 2.2 from this page;

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/linux/download.html

Simply download and install using pkgadd. The package name may indicate
that its for AIX 4.3 but it is installed and running on our AIX 5.1
server at work.

Regards,
Andy
 From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/