execfile return values

Mel Wilson mwilson at the-wire.com
Fri Oct 3 16:14:58 EDT 2003

In article <mailman.1065195127.15150.python-list at python.org>,
"Enrique" <enrique.palomo at xgs-spain.com> wrote:
>My english is not very good. So, i can't explain like in my native =
>language.
>Cause of that, maybe I have found your mail not very friendly.
>I've read the  docs of execfile, of course. And "reread" it before write
>you.
>I only want  to know if there is a way to catch the value of and =
>execution
>like in os.system.
>using execfile.

   As the docs say, None is what execfile returns.  My guess
is that if anything goes wrong in executing the script file,
then an exception will be raised, so (untested code):

        try:
            execfile('scr.py')
        except Exception, details:
            print 'execfile failed:', details

   In specific cases you can be more precise with the
exception(s) you trap, and the action(s) you take, of course.

        Good Luck.      Mel.