Explanation of macros; Haskell macros

Dave Harris brangdon at cix.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 19:20:00 EST 2003

costanza at web.de (Pascal Costanza) wrote (abridged):
> mike420 is a troll.

Yes, but I enjoyed thinking and writing about his questions.

> Why is it that computer science is the only field in which "cutting
> down possibilities" is considered to be "helpful"?!?

It's not. There's a maxim, "Form liberates". I think it's very profound
and general. There's nothing so scary as a blank page.

For example, I find it easier to write C++ code if I adhere to a style
guide, consistent indentation and naming etc. The freedom to indent all
over the place just isn't useful. Having to make a decision about
indentation at each line can lead to a form of analysis paralysis.

Likewise with working in stone, or any physical medium. Or attempting to
write under artificial constraints, such as without using the letter 'e'.
Such constraints can encourage, even force, more creative solutions.

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK