Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Wed Oct 15 16:24:02 EDT 2003

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

 > Because these hard-coded syntaxes are prettier than the extensible Lisp
 > syntax full of parentheses.

Obviously, you haven't tried to actually program in Lisp. Getting used
to the syntax is a matter of one or two weeks at most of actual coding,
provided you use a decent editor that supports parenthesis highlighting
and automatic indentation.

Despising Lisp because of its syntax is like thinking that Japanese is a
too complicated language because it doesn't use latin characters.

Mind you, I had more or less exactly the same objections to Lisp's
syntax about one and a half year ago. Now, I don't see any language out
there that nearly provides the same level of usability than Lisp,
exactly because of its regular syntax "full of parentheses". It's far
prettier and easier to read than languages whose syntaxes are based on
some unreflected, purely aesthetical choices.

Pascal