Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Fri Oct 10 12:00:25 EDT 2003

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> Thomas F. Burdick:
>
>>With Lisp, you're not at the mercy of your vendor; if
>>you know damn well that some readable code A can be transformed into
>>equivalent, but efficient code B, you can cause it to happen!
>

> Not at the mercy of your vendor unless you want to use something
> which isn't in the standard, like unicode (esp "wide" unicode, >16bit),

Given that there are more than 1.84 implementations of Common Lisp, yes,
you are at the mercy of the implementor to have access to a good UNICODE
implementation.  (Now, whn is the last time I really really really
needed to write error messages in Tamil script?  >:| )

> regular expressions (esp. regexps of unicode),

There are several completely portable regexps libraires.  For UNICODE
see above.

> sockets,

There are at least two completely portable sockets libraries for CL.

> or ffi?

Last I checked UFFI did pretty much the right thing.

> But that's just flaming -- ignore me.  ;)

I am a fireman :)

Cheers
--
Marco