Why don't people like lisp?

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Fri Oct 24 16:00:23 EDT 2003

Peter Seibel wrote:
> But--and this is the bit I think you may have missed--if that's *not*
> what you want you don't use WITH-OPEN-FILE. Lisp also provides OPEN
> and CLOSE, that act as you'd expect and allow you to explicitly
> control the lifetime of the file stream.

Which leads us back to having to manually close files.

I DON'T want to manually close files.  I DON'T want to deal with the
limitations of with-open-file.  And, here's the important bit, I DON'T WANT
TO COMBINE OR CHOOSE BETWEEN THESE TWO METHODS, BOTH OF WHICH ARE FLAWED.

What I want to open a file and have it close automatically when I am done
with it.  I can do that in C++.  Why can't I do it in Python?

--
Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com - http://eldwood.com