Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Fri Oct 3 13:51:38 EDT 2003

prunesquallor at comcast.net writes:

> mike420 at ziplip.com writes:
>
> > I think everyone who used Python will agree that its syntax is
> > the best thing going for it.
>
> I've used Python.  I don't agree.

I'd be interested to hear your reasons. *If* you take the sharp distinction
that python draws between statements and expressions as a given, then python's
syntax, in particular the choice to use indentation for block structure, seems
to me to be the best choice among what's currently on offer (i.e. I'd claim
that python's syntax is objectively much better than that of the C and Pascal
descendants -- comparisons with smalltalk, prolog or lisp OTOH are an entirely
different matter).

'as