Why don't people like lisp?

Takehiko Abe keke at mac.mac.com
Tue Oct 21 11:20:53 EDT 2003

In article <fbf8d8f2.0310202328.221ab96e at posting.google.com>,
danbmil99 at yahoo.com (dan) wrote:

> ps on the topic -- any language that *requires* bloatware like Emacs
> in order to use is already out of the running.  I wrote my first large
> Python program in Wordpad.

Good point! I always thought that Python's popularity stems from
that special property of the language. It relieves the vendors
from writing special editors for the language and shift the burden
to the user. Particularly attractive for embedding it as a
scripting language for an application.

However I don't agree that CL requires bloatware as big as
Emacs. You need only a small portion of Emacs for lisp editing.
Still it is going to be much more work than writing a WordPad
though.