Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Thu Oct 23 11:53:40 EDT 2003

Remi Vanicat wrote:
> Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> writes:
>

>>Remi Vanicat wrote:

>>>Not in ocaml.
>>>ocaml is statically typed.
>>
>>How does ocaml make sure that you don't get a message-not-understood
>>exception at runtime then?
>

> It make the verification when you call the test. I explain :
>
> you could define :
>
> let f x = x #foo
>
> which is a function taking an object x and calling its method
> foo, even if there is no class having such a method.
>
> When sometime latter you do a :
>
> f bar
>
> then, and only then the compiler verify that the bar object have a foo
> method.

Doesn't this mean that the occurence of such compile-time errors is only
delayed, in the sense that when the test suite grows the compiler starts
to issue type errors?

Anyway, that's an interesting case that I haven't known about before.
Thanks.

Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza               University of Bonn
mailto:costanza at web.de        Institute of Computer Science III