Python debug libraries

Robert Ferrell ferrell at diablotech.com
Wed Oct 29 11:21:31 EST 2003

<quote who="Trent Mick">
> [Robert Ferrell wrote]
>> I'm trying to do some debugging of python extensions on Windows2K.  MS
>> Visual Studio (.NET) says it can't find the debug version of the
>> python libraries.  (The message is "python.exe does not contain any
>> debugging information".)  I installed the binaries from the Windows
>> installer.  How should I get the debug libraries?  Or is that even
>> what I need?  I'm kind of new to Windows, and Visual Studio in
>> particular, so maybe I'm way off base.
>
> If you are using the ActivePython distribution the debug libraries are
> made available in a separate package here:
>     ftp://ftp.activestate.com/ActivePython/etc/
>
> For example the debug libs for ActivePython 2.3.2 are:
>     ActivePython-2.3.2-230-win32-ix86.debug.zip

I haven't been using ActivePython because I've been using the Enthought
distribution, which includes all the SciPy stuff.  Is there any reason
these should be mutally exclusive (they are the same Python version)?  Can
I just install ActivePython overtop of another Python distribution?

thanks,
-robert