Learning Python By Mark Lutz, David Ascher

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Fri Oct 3 06:12:19 EDT 2003

kevin parks wrote:

> Is as excellent as it is out of date. Which is to say it is
> exceedingly, ridiculously, hideously, insanely, absurdly out of date.
> *^-^* (look again there is a compliment in there ^^)

Yes, you are right (on both the compliment and the criticism).

> And i hear again and again and again and again, over and over and over
> how a 2nd edition is due any time now...

Yes, it is.

> Uhmm.... Is it? Will it be out before python hits 7.0? or i hit 70.0?

Not knowing your current age, I can't say.  But with any luck it
SHOULD be out well in time for your Christmas shopping (yes, I do
mean the Christmas of THIS year!-).

> WE NEED THIS BOOK! (if only cause we love it so much)

Yes, we do.

> Even if you love the book (i do), even of you love the authors (seem
> like great guys), even if you love O'Reilly (best tech publisher
> EVER), you gotta admit this is getting more than a little silly.

I agree.

> I mean the old book don't even got no list comprehensions in it!
>
> Please, O'ra, Lutz, and Ascher, please with sugar on top! Update this
> book soon!

I _think_ the authors have (at long last...) done their part fully,
and therefore you should tempest ORA directly with your fully
understandable rant and plea; see their site for appropriate contacts.
I don't think your prodding is _needed_, but it can hardly hurt.

Alex