Python for Asset Management!

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Oct 17 21:20:15 EDT 2003

<achrist at easystreet.com> wrote in message
news:3F905ACB.3E16F843 at easystreet.com...

[snip interesting status review of fixed asset software]

> My goal in developing my fixed assets software was to be able to give
> the user a program with a desktop look-and-feel that would be able to
> do batch processing of up to 50,000 asseets without more than a minute
> or two wait, and thus we didn't use Python.

I don't agree with your "... and thus..." conclusion.  Python with Numeric
and the gui kit that matches your taste is easily up to this task.

For comparison, I've written a python+zope based application that juggles
sales data and provides sub-15 second response time recapping 1M+ records of
~180cols.  Sub-selections from any combination of 20 parameters speed things
up further.

With that in mind, doing month-end fixed-asset depreciation schedule
calculations on three sets of books using any of a half dozen or so selected
depreciation methods for a department, division, or company should _always_
be sub-minute.

Emile van Sebille
emile at fenx.com