[OT] Knuth's rewards [Was: Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme]

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Oct 17 04:58:09 EDT 2003

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote previously:
|> Could you afford to pay $327.68 for every bug found in your glorious
|> software?
|Anyone know how Knuth arrives at the amounts he offers ?
|(He also offers $2.56 for errors in his books.)

Surely you recognize powers of two? :-).

The system is really the ultimate in chutzpah.  In takes VERY few errors
before he goes broke... or, say, if the US treasury were at his
disposal, *IT* goes broke.

Apparently, so far 8 errors have been found in AoCP, and 15 in TeX....
there are more than that (known) in my book that's been out for a couple
months (and I share a publisher with him, whatever that's worth).  And I
*thought* I worked hard to avoid all the typos, plus put it up for
community review for almost a year, plus had a copyeditor and a
proofreader.  It's not wonder that Knuth wrote the bible... he's god.

Yours, David...

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_