Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Jacques Garrigue see at my.signature
Thu Oct 30 08:59:38 EST 2003

Matthias Blume <find at my.address.elsewhere> writes:

> > (Contrary to Matthias I'm a purely static guy, but I've always been
> > attracted by those fancy dynamic development environments.)
>
> Do you mean that you don't have any dynamically typed skeletons in
> your closet?  My excuse is that I have been attracted by the static
> side of the force all along, but for a long time I didn't understand
> that this was the case... :-)

To be honest, I have been for a long time a fan of Prolog. To choose
an untyped language, I prefer it (pseudo) intelligent! And you can
also do plenty of fun stuff with meta-programming in Prolog.

Maybe the switch has been when I was (as undergrad) assigned a project
to write a lazy prolog interpreter in ML. This was so easy that I
didn't see the point of using prolog afterwards...
Not that I pretend that good compilers for untyped languages are easy
to write. But at least type inference (even trivial) is a bit harder
than interpreters, which gives you this warm feeling that you're doing
some real work.

Jacques Garrigue      Kyoto University     garrigue at kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp
		<A HREF=http://wwwfun.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~garrigue/>JG</A>