Variable passing to external program - How??

Christopher Koppler klapotec at chello.at
Sat Oct 11 11:22:36 EDT 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:08:46 +0000, Rigga <Rigga at noemail.com> wrote:

>Christopher Koppler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 15:50:29 +0000, Rigga <Rigga at noemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>FilePath = os.path('/home/rigga')
>>>AccFlag = os.access('% FilePath',os.R_OK)
>>>
>>>I would expect % FilePath to contain /home/rigga
>>
>> Why would you expect that?
>
>because Ive assigned it using the  FilePath = os.path('/home/rigga') -
>surely therefore FilePath contains the value /home/rigga???????

Yes, but what do you think that '% FilePath' means? This is an
ordinary string, and does not magically expand to the variable's
contents, which I assume you wanted. You need to use just the variable
name for that:

AccFlag = os.access(FilePath, os.R_OK)

If you wanted to use the % operator for strings, you could also write
that as

AccFlag = os.access('%s' % FilePath, os.R_OK)

which is completely unnecessary in this case, however.

--
Christopher