Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 4 15:49:06 EDT 2003

"David Rush" <drush at aol.net> wrote in message
news:oprwi0800f3seq94 at news.nscp.aoltw.net...
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:36:32 -0400, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
wrote:
> > ... Lispers posting here
By 'here', I meant comp.lang.python ...

>> have gone to pains to state that Scheme is
> > not a dialect of Lisp but a separate Lisp-like language.  Could
you
> > give a short listing of the current main differences (S vs. CL)?

> Do you even begin to appreciate how inflammatory such a request is
> when posted to to both c.l.l and c.l.s?

As implied by 'here', I did not originally notice the cross-posting
(blush, laugh ;<).  I am pleased with the straightforward, civil, and
helpful answers I have received, including yours, and have saved them
for future reference.

> compromise system design, for both good and bad
> embedded in it. This cuts both ways, mind you.

I believe in neither 'one true religion' nor in 'one best
algorithm/computer language for all'.  Studying Lisp has helped me
better understand Python and the tradeoffs embodied in its design.  I
certainly better appreciate the issue of quoting and its relation to
syntax.

Terry J. Reedy