In need of c.l.p.discussion

Mark Jackson mjackson at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:18:39 EDT 2003

Rune Steffensen <r.steffensen at c2i.net> writes:
> I've been lurking c.l.p for a while now, and find the amount of messages
> a bit annoying. To solve this, I suggest the creation of the new group
> "comp.lang.pyhon.discussions".
> So when people post questions to c.l.p, they will get all the (more or
> less) helpfull answers there, but as soon as a discussion arise over an
> issue, one can Xfut to c.l.p.d. This way, the useful knowledge will not
> drown in the ocean of subjective opinions.
>
> Any comments on this?

Absent actual moderation your scheme depends on each poster deciding
whether his or her contribution constitutes "useful knowledge" or
"subjective opinion."  I confidently predict that, if implemented, the
noise reduction which results will be swamped by the noise increase
occasioned by arguments over whether a particular posting was
misclassified or not.

And that's a knowledge-based projection.

	There are two kinds of fool.  One says, "This is old,
	and therefore good."  And one says, "This is new, and
	therefore better."		- Dean William Inge