Express What, not How.

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at junk.mail.me.not.mac.com
Wed Oct 15 15:22:01 EDT 2003

In article <92c59a2c.0310151005.37701b8c at posting.google.com>,
 jcb at iteris.com (MetalOne) wrote:

> Raffael Cavallaro
>
> I don't know why but I feel like trying to summarize.

Nice summary.

> Your position now appears to have
> changed to state that lambdas are ok to use, but their use should be
> restricted.

First, let me say that I'm not delusional enough to think that a few
Usenet posts by me are going to change the way anyone codes. I do find
Usenet most useful for clarifying my own thinking, however. Nothing
forces you to be precise more than having to defend, amplify, and
clarify your ideas in the light of other peoples comments. If that means
that my stated position appears to have changed, then fine. The whole
point of discussion is for people come away from it with a clearer idea
of what both they and others really mean to say. If one's ideas are
never modified in the slightest by discussion, then one isn't really
listening. I would say that my position is the same - I still have the
same tastes in source code style. However, I think that this back and
forth has made my views much more precise (I'm pretty sure that I've
never written up 2 explicit criteria for the appropriate use of
anonymous functions before, for example).That increased precision is a
good thing.

> But when you're writing small functions and
> everybody else is writing 300+ line functions you begin to wonder if
> it is you that is doing something wrong.  It is nice to see that other
> people actually do think about how to write and structure good code.

You should dowload squeak (the open source Smalltalk implementation) and
browse the code The squeak browser, like most Smalltalk code browsers,
is quite nice. Realizing that the entire functionality of such a complex
dynamic environment is composed of an interconnected set of thousands of
methods, few of them more than a dozen lines in lenght, can be a kind of
revelation if one hasn't seen a whole system written in that style.