Python syntax in Lisp and Scheme

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 22:43:20 EDT 2003

David Eppstein wrote:
> In article <bm4uf6$6oj$1 at newsreader2.netcologne.de>,
>  Pascal Costanza <costanza at web.de> wrote:
>

>>It's probably just because the Common Lisp community is still relatively
>>small at the moment. But this situation has already started to improve a
>>lot.
>

> It's only been out, what, twenty years? And another twenty before that
> for other lisps... How much time do you think you need?

Hey, we've been dead for thirty years, give us a break.

The bad news for other languages is that the evolution of programming
languages, like baseball, is a game played without a clock. And the game
is going our way: languages are evolving towards dynamism, reflection,
and everything else Lisp invented and still does better than anyone.
Python is promoting that sea change, and we Lispniks are forever grateful.

But will one of Perl, Python, Ruby, Dylan or Smalltalk steal the prize?
The only way to do that is to adopt sexprs and macros, and you can't do
those without becoming Lisp, at which point you lose if you do not match
the CL spec.

All your bases are us!

--
http://tilton-technology.com
What?! You are a newbie and you haven't answered my: