email package vs. mimify.mime_encode_header

Ilpo Nyyssönen iny+news at iki.fi
Thu Oct 16 05:31:49 EDT 2003

Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> writes:

> iny+news at iki.fi (Ilpo Nyyssönen) wrote:
>>
>>How do I do the same as mimify.mime_encode_header with the email
>>package?
>
> You split the address yourself into "nickname" and "address", then encode
> only the "nickname" part and put the two back together.
>
> Only the nickname is encoded.

[...]

> Well, "Header" did exactly what you asked it to.  Unfortunately, you didn't
> ask it to what you wanted it to do.

But with mimify doing the extra work is not necessary. And other point
is that the Header encodes the whole string and mimify encodes only
when necessary. This makes the encoded stuff more readable when looked
without decoding.

>From my point of view this looks like dropping an important feature. I
really do not want to encode an ascii only header, but if the encoding
is needed, it needs to be there. With mimify this is handled
automatically, with Header I would need to do that by hand.

--
Ilpo Nyyssönen # biny # /* :-) */