Python from Wise Guy's Viewpoint

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Mon Oct 20 06:41:56 EDT 2003

Hannu Kankaanp?? wrote:
> Anyway, as a conclusion, I believe you'd be much happier with
> Ruby than with Python. It doesn't do this weird "statement vs
> expression" business, it has optional return, it has optional
> parens with function calls, and probably more of these things
> "fixed" that you consider Python's downsides. You're trying to
> make Python into a language that already exists, it seems, but
> for some reason Pythonistas are happy with Python and not rapidly
> converting to Ruby or Haskell.

I wonder to what extent this statement is true. I know at least
1 Ruby programmer who came from Python, but this spot check should
not be trusted, since I know only 1 Ruby programmer and only 1
former Python programmer <g>. But I have heard that there are a
lot of former Python programmers in the Ruby community. I think
it is safe to say that of all languages Python programmers migrate
to, Ruby is the strongest magnet. OTOH, the migration of this part
of the Python community to Ruby may have been completed already,
of course.

Gerrit.

--
53. If any one be too lazy to keep his dam in proper condition, and
does not so keep it; if then the dam break and all the fields be flooded,