[Q] ctypes callbacks with Delphi

achrist at easystreet.com achrist at easystreet.com
Sun Oct 19 13:24:45 EDT 2003

Jimmy Retzlaff wrote:

> The extent of ctypes' involvement in the problem is probably that it
> lets you make calls between Python and Delphi. It's more likely that the
> problem stems from the fact that you are using two different GUI
> toolkits that aren't designed to integrate with each other in the same
> application.

Yes, I misworded that a little.  I didn't mean to suggest that the
problem is solvable or that ctypes ought to solve it.  IDK.  But
I can hope.   I tried using threads, but wxPython won't let me for
any gui except in the main thread.

My usage of the GUIs in this part of my app is fairly constrained.
The windows opened on either side (Delphi or Python) are modal, only
the last-opened Window needs to respond to events.  I had some hope
that they wouldn't get caught up in each other.

My last two ideas for solving this are (1) communication between the
Delphi and Python through sockets, not function calls, or (2) making
the Delphi DLL an out-of-process com server.

Al