Language selection for new projects

Limey Drink bhicking at bhicking.plus.com
Sun Oct 12 18:25:12 EDT 2003

Thankyou very much Alex, this is the first time I have attempted to use this
group for information and I am very pleased with the prompt response.

once again  thanks

By the way, what do you think to Python with regards to productivity
benefits in general and also in comparison to other languages ?

Thanks

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:lE9ib.203307$hE5.6850655 at news1.tin.it...
> Limey Drink wrote:
> > What are your thoughts on the viability of using Python on a fairly
large
> > projects, I'm talking GUI, RDBMS access, COMMS.
>
> Should be fine.
>
> > Basically how does the language scale up in terms of portability,
> > performance, programmr friendliness(in terms of real sized programs not
> > small scripts) to Java.
>
> Quite well.
>
> > My last concern is source code, is there any way to protect it from
prying
> > eyes, obviously Java does have these issues but at least you can byte
code
> > compile it.
>
> Python doesn't offer anything substantially different from Java here.  You
> can bytecode-compile things in advance, perhaps encrypt some modules
> and decrypt them on the file on import, but it's really no protection --
> just like in Java.  Face it -- any time you give out executable source, be
> it bytecode or machine-specific binary, it's easy to disassemble and crack
> it -- game producers do their best to protect their wares, yet warez sites
> always have cracks for everything of interest often before the product
> they're cracking gets to store shelves -- what makes you think you can do
> any better?
>
> In the exceedingly unlikely case you have something really worth
protecting,
> don't give it out -- keep it as a webservice on a server under YOUR
control,
> and give out client programs that access this special protected software.
> XML-RPC makes this trivial and comes with the standard Python
distribution.

> This strategy also allows you more flexibility in your business model
> (subscription, pay-per-use -- you can enforce these with a web service
> deployment, but not really if you distribute all the executable code).
This